Village of Tuxford was at one time described as a town and
previously known as Tuxford
in the Clays. Tuckers Ford, and as far
back as the Doomsday Book, Tuxfarne.
Over the centuries these lands were owned by many lords of the manor, the most recent
being the Duke of Newcastle.
In 1218 a charter was granted by Henry 111 to John de Lexington, allowing
the village an
annual fair and a weekly market, which brought Tuxford a new status as an independent
More information regarding our village and its history can be obtained from the
There is a
leaflet with a map of our heritage in the Heritage Trail
Contact The Mine of Information for
further details 01777 870040.
History of Tuxford
go to another site
the ages and photographs designed by Mike Sanderson an ex-villager of